now a parking lot
|Pictured at left: The J. A. Wallace home, built about 1887, was located at 1021 N. Lawrence (now Broadway). Drawing taken from the Wichita City Directory, 1889.|
The J. A. Wallace home was built at 1021 N. Lawrence (now Broadway) prior to 1887. The two story frame structure was designed in the popular Queen Anne style and was set off from the sidewalk by a wrought iron fence. Two hitching posts stood along the street. Lightning rods were placed on the high points of each gable.
Bay windows extended from the ground floor to the attic area on the north side and very probably were matched on the south side as well. The slate roof was laid out in a decorative pattern. A two story carriage house, complete with a cupula, was located at the rear of the property.
J. A. Wallace came to the city from St. Louis and was listed in the 1878 Wichita City Directory as boarding at the Occidental Hotel. He was an agent for the Walter A. Woods' Self Binder.
By 1887 he had opened the Wallace Implement House at 308-310 E. Douglas and was a dealer in agricultural implements, wagons, buggies and barbed wire. By this time he was living at the above address on Lawrence.
His home's fate is an old story for historic preservationists- the site is now a parking lot and is covered with asphalt paving.
|Pictured at right: The
site of the Wallace home is now occupied by a parking lot serving
the Pho' 99 Vietnamese Restaurant to the south and a Pizza Hut
to the north.
Photo by Dale & Vicki Churchman