The East Douglas Historical district was created in June of 1985 and is located from midway between Topeka and Emporia, east to Rock Island on Douglas. The district was established in 1985 in order to preserve some portion of Wichita's historic commercial and retail area. The centerpiece of the district is the Carey House (Eaton) Hotel, a Second Empire structure that dates from 1886-87.

Most of the buildings in the district date from the early years of the twentieth century, but they retain the characteristic commercial designs: large glass windows and transom windows with offices and apartments on the upper floors. Several of these were constructed to serve as hotels for cattleman, railway workers and businessmen, all of whom were attracted to the area by the proximity of the railroad stations.