Credit: D&VC 12-05

 Lewelling House
1245 North Broadway

The two-and-one-half-story frame house was constructed in 1894 for Governor Lorenzo Dow Lewelling and his daughters during his term as governor.  The four-square house has Colonial Revival and Queen Anne details. The house was owned by a succession of Wichita businessmen until the early 1940s, when the house and garage were converted to apartments.

Listed on the Kansas and National Registers of Historic Places 6/08/05



Governor Lewelling, a member of the Populist Party, was elected in 1892 and served in that office from 1893-1895. Following a turbulent term of office, he was defeated for re-election in 1894 but was elected to the Kansas Senate in 1896.

Birth:   Dec. 21, 1846
Salem, Henry County
Death:   Sep. 3, 1900
Arkansas City, Cowley County
Burial:   Maple Grove Cemetery
Wichita, Sedgwick County

For more information: